Formal Sheep, LLC
Based in Sacramento, California
August 3, 2018
Steam: PC, Mac
The Rabbit and The Owl is a cooperative puzzle-platformer where you (or you and a friend) journey through a fractured yet beautiful and hand-painted negative space landscape. The titular characters are confined to the realms of light and dark and are only able to progress through constant cooperation. Each puzzle requires you to explore and understand how you can best manipulate the environment and utilize the characters' special abilities to reach their respective goals. The game is set in the ancient world of Yril, a once vibrant land now a faded shell of its former self. At an uncertain point in time, two kindred spirits have manifested themselves as the Rabbit and the Owl. You will guide them through tranquil forests, harsh deserts, crumbling cities, and more while seeing echoes of the past toward a fateful encounter in the depths of Mount Rulnar.
Development started slowly as a solo endeavor in April 2015. In August 2015, heavy development ramped up as Justin Olesen was brought in for level design, Andrew Chen for art, and David Huff and Patrick Neff for music. The game was formally announced with the launch of a Steam Greenlight campaign. The campaign was a success, being greenlit in 13 days and ending at rank 24 out of over 2000 games on Greenlight. The game has been exhibited at PAX West, Sacramento Indie Arcade, iFEST, Power of Play, Indie Prize, and more. A Kickstarter campaign was launched on September 1, 2016 and ended with over 600 backers and over $14k raised. Nearly two years after the Kickstarter, the game was released on Steam on August 3, 2018 for PC and Mac.
- Rich puzzles: The game naturally introduces and teaches puzzle-solving concepts as you progress. Each puzzle may draw on concepts learned before but always has a specific light bulb moment that is unique only to that level. Variety is the spice of life!
- Low mechanical skill ceiling: Mechanical execution of moving the characters, activating switches, using special abilities, etc. is designed to be less demanding for players who may not be the best at platformers or games in general. The puzzles are mostly solved through careful analysis of what to do -- the difficulty of actually completing them is kept to a minimum.
- Atmospheric, cohesive aesthetics: Unique, painterly artwork for every level and a soothing, original soundtrack to complement the game and the story.
- Co-op: Play solo by swapping between control of the Rabbit and the Owl, or play with a friend by plugging in a controller or two (currently only shared screen and officially tested for Xbox 360/One controllers).
- Interpretive story: Piece together the mythology of the world and Yril's past to discover why the Rabbit and the Owl are here now.
OLD: The Rabbit and The Owl - Trailer 2 (May 2016) YouTube
OLD: The Rabbit and The Owl - Announcement Trailer (March 2016) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection - PAX Rising" PAX West, 2016
- "Best in Show" Sacramento Indie Arcade, 2016
- "Official Selection - Indie Prize" Casual Connect, 2016
- "Official Selection - Gametasting" IndieCade, 2016
- "Official Selection - Indie Game Con" Eugene Comic Con, 2016
OLD: Steam Greenlight (March 2016)
About Formal Sheep, LLC
Formal Sheep is an independent game development company which aims to create thought-provoking, surreal, and fun experiences. It was founded in March 2016 by Gary Chao. Its debut game, The Rabbit and the Owl, is currently under development and is set to release in Summer 2018 on Steam for PC and Mac. Formal Sheep is currently based near Sacramento, California.
More information on Formal Sheep, LLC, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Rabbit and the Owl Credits
Game Developer, Level Design, and Testing
Piano Composer and Pianist